Forum abode Fruit & veg

Is it prophylactic to swallow snail damaged veg?

I am a novice vegetable grower and have a proficient crop of lettuce, kale, carrots, courgettes and squash on the go. I am concerned about whether information technology is safe to consume veg with slug and snail damage. I found a baby snail in the lettuce this morning (and in that location are holes which I assume are harm from something). Patently I accept washed all produce before eating but is it safety? I am not using whatsoever pesticides.

Posts

  • B3B3 Posts: 20,235
    In London. Corking merely lazy.
  • Welcome to the Forum.
    Make sure you remove the slugs and snail offset. ;)
  • Yes, especially if yous don't employ pesticides (and you lot don't garden next to a nuclear power plant etc!). Brand sure it's washed thoroughly, leave it soaking in lightly salted h2o for an 60 minutes or 2 and near bugs will bladder to the surface.

    Snail slime is a fleck more difficult to become off, then perchance discard the outer leaves etc.

  • LynLyn Devon Posts: 19,552
    Years ago, earlier farmers sprayed every living thing in sight,  you would buy a lettuce, full of greenfly and a couple of slugs, my mum would just wash and wash until they were all off.
    Today, if I buy a lettuce with a greenfly or anything in it I'm highly delighted.
    My OH knew a lettuce producer,  sprayed ten times in as many weeks.
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor.
  • If yous have whatsoever French connections you may wish to leave the snails on the lettuce?

    "The trouble with having an open heed, of course, is that people volition insist on coming along and trying to put things in it."  Sir Terry Pratchett
  • YviestevieYviestevie Kingswinford, West Midlands Posts: 6,504
    Information technology'due south a compassion our dinner ladies didn't follow your mum'southward guidance @Lyn I recall finding crawlies etc in my salad at school and I'm yet hither
    Hi from Kingswinford in the Due west Midlands
  • I'm sure I've eaten the odd thing in among my lettuce over the years. Nice and crunchy....:D
    The big snails hide in the rocket during the day - I simply rinse everything. Far better than the chlorine covered stuff as @Lyn describes :)
    It'due south a identify where cute isn't enough of a word....